Press "Enter" to skip to content

Homeowners displaced by electrical fire in southwestern Berks

Firefighters made quick work of a house fire Thursday afternoon in South Heidelberg Township, containing fire damage to the attic of the ranch home at Maywood and Rosemead avenues, officials said.

Crews were dispatched at 4:36 p.m. after a neighbor noticed smoke coming from the roof of the home, which is in a subdivision along the south side of Route 422 just west of Sinking Spring, Deputy Chief Nevin Klahr of Wester Berks Fire Department said.

The first crew arrived within two minutes of the neighbor’s 911 call, he said. Crews needed less than 20 minutes to control the fire.

No one was home at the time of the fire, Klahr said. Officials determined the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction.

Firefighters needed to cut a hole in the roof to allow heat and smoke to escape. The homeowners are staying with family members until repairs can be completed, Klahr said.

A damage estimate was unavailable.

Berks County property records list the owners as James E. and Cynthia B. Walsh.

Source: Berkshire mont

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply