Press "Enter" to skip to content

Reading United falls to Ocean City 1-0 in second meeting of the season

Reading United AC fell to rival Ocean City 1-0 in the 54th meeting between the two USL League Two clubs Friday night at Alvernia University’s Turf Field.

The win gave Ocean City a 24-22-8 lead in the series; Reading (3-2-3) is 0-2 against the Mid Atlantic Division-leading Nor’easters (6-0-1) this season.

Reading outshot Ocean City 17-7, including 11 in the second to just one for the Nor’easters. Despite the sustained pressure, United was unable to find an equalizer after trailing 1-0 at halftime.

“It looked like in first half we were playing into their press a lot,” Reading coach Casey Moore said. “We wanted to avoid doing that, so we told them about different spaces to get into and different options to find.

“We felt like if we could switch the ball away from the press, and then attack, we would have moments to be dangerous, and we did, but we weren’t able to capitalize.”

Goalkeeper Felix Schafer made five saves, all in the second half, to preserve the 1-0 lead for the Nor’easters

“Their keeper made a lot of big saves,” Moore said. ” He’s a big guy and had to really stretch to keep some of those out. But, you know, I still felt like we we had moments to finish and didn’t.”

Ocean City was able to break through the Reading defense early as Nicolas Cam Orellana slotted a through-ball past the United back line to Daniel Diaz-Bonilla, who hit a low shot to the corner of the net for the opening goal.

Reading’s offense struggled to gain significant scoring opportunities in the first half. United earned corner kicks in the 11th, 29th and 35th minutes, but failed to score.

The Nor’easters dominated possession for a majority of the first half and Reading did not spend much time attacking in the Ocean City final third.

United’s best chance of the first half came in the 43rd minute as a header by Ammit Bhogal off a corner went just wide.

Both teams had six shots in the first half.

Reading came out with more intensity in the second half as United took three shots on goal during the first 15 minutes.

Moore used three of his substitutions in the 66th minute as United started to gain sustained pressure on the Nor’easters. The move increased United’s momentum and Reading started to create more chances in the final third.

“Our subs have impacted the game well in a lot of games,” Moore said. “They definitely bring energy and we have quality subs that can can make an impact.”

In the 69th minute United had two significant shots. The first one was deflected by a defender and Schafer made a diving save on the second shot by Alex Hajj. Reading’s Marten Imping had a header on goal off a corner kick in the 78th minute that Schafer was able to bat away.

Schafer came up big again in the 83rd when midfielder Isak Sedin corralled a pass and took a shot inside the Ocean City box, but Schafer was able to make another diving save. Sedin finished with two shots on goal and had his second shot saved during stoppage time.

“He’s been at a good level for us,” Moore said. “He’s a really good leader as well. A lot of our play goes through him.”

Reading United returns to action on June 21 when they travel to take on West Chester United.

Source: Berkshire mont

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    %d bloggers like this: